Monday, September 26, 2011

number 2

Where I'm Coming From

It seems that I should share some information about myself to provide appropriate context about any posts that will follow.  For instance, if you were to read something that was critical of President Obama, it would be helpful to know if it were said by Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olberman.

First of all, I'm a blackhole of pop culture references.  As I go through my day, the things I do or see send a constant stream of song lyrics, TV shows, books, and/or movies to my mind.  Be prepared for those obscure references.  They may not make sense to you, but to me they're perfectly logical.

Politically and socially, (big pause... do I really want to put this out there?  Of course I do.  I already decided I did when I started AtRP), I'm left of center.  However, I feel very strongly that the ability to reach out to people of other points of view to reach consensus is more important than any political ideology.  That doesn't mean I don't have strong convictions.  I do, and I'm right (as in correct).  It only means that I recognize that another person can have a different point of view and be equally convinced that he or she is correct.  It seems to me that our leaders have lost the ability to compromise, and that is a big part of our country's problems right now.  Please understand that if I share an opinion that you might disagree with, I consider that the start of the dialogue and not the end.  Principled, uncompromising stands may make good theater, but in the end they rarely accomplish anything.

QUIZ answer:  Thunder Road (from Born to Run)

"Screen door slams, Mary's dress waves,
Like a vision she dances across the porch
as the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely.
Hey, that's me and I want you only."

(more about Bruce to come, I'm sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment