Friday, October 26, 2012

Number 9

Why I don't like voter ID Laws

At first thought, the push to require voters to produce identification when voting seems fairly benign.  Why not?  I mean I have to flash my driver's license if I want to cash a check, sometimes when I make a charge on a credit card, or when I purchase alcohol (unfortunately this last one doesn't happen much anymore... sigh).  Everybody carries around their driver's license, right?

Well, no.  Believe it or not, there are many adults that don't have a car, and thus no driver's license.  For many who live in urban areas and are of modest means, the cost of an automobile is an extravagance they can't afford.  For many of these folks, it's not a foregone conclusion that they can reach into their wallet or purse and produce a picture ID.

It doesn't matter to me that these folks primarily support Democratic candidates (well, not much).  These laws, whether by design or coincidence, skew the access to the voting process that all Americans (should) treasure.  And not only is that unfair, it sounds like it should be illegal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment