Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Number 13

What's Good Customer Service?

I went into a convenience store for a soda pop today (Diet Pepsi, if you're interested).  It's one of those places where they scan a little card and you earn points.  I've cared very little about these points until today, when my curiosity got the better of me, so I asked the woman behind the counter about the program.

I imagine most folks, if they're really honest, would think about a job in a convenience store somewhat disdainfully.  If we're even more honest, we've probably allowed ourselves to feel just a little bit superior to the folks that work in these establishments.  We probably don't even mean to,  but sometimes it hard to stop those thoughts from popping into our heads.  (Or, maybe it's just me, and my pathetic attempt to generalize my awfulness demonstrates a weak character.)

In any event, I asked about the points program, and the woman behind the counter couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant.  I was embarrassed by the fact that I was surprised by her kindness.  But more than that, she made me realize what real customer service is.  It's all about making the effort to connect with the person being helped, and I thank her for opening my eyes to that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment